What is the OurPeople App?
The OurPeople App (“the App”) has been designed to help employers communicate and engage with all their workers where ever they are based. An employer using the App will ask their employees to install it on their smartphone and set up a user account.
The App is designed to bring benefits to everyone as it allows employers to stay in touch with their workers much more easily and workers can provide employers with information in a quick and efficient way.
The App is provided by OurPeople Limited (“OurPeople”) who may have to access your personal information in order to provide you with the App or in order to answer any queries or problems that you may have. OurPeople is known as a “processor” for your employer.
If you have any queries about how the App works or any problems or issues with its use, then please contact email@example.com. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted above or at 45 Queen Street Exeter, Devon EX4 3SR.
- What personal information your employer collects about you when you use the App
- How your employer collects your personal information in the App
- How your employer uses your personal information
- Who your employer may share your personal information with
- Any transfer of personal information outside of the EEA
- How long your employer keeps your personal information
- What your employer does to protect your personal information
- What choices you have in relation to your personal information
Personal Information your employer collects about you
a.) Setting up a user account and using the App
Your employer will ask you to set up a user account when you first log on to the App. Your employer may (or may ask OurPeople) to set up a user account on your behalf.
If your employer or OurPeople sets up an account on your behalf, then they will input personal information collected from your employment records.
Your employer may collect the following personal information from you when you use the App:
- your name
- your contact details including email address and telephone number
- your job role
- information about your working hours and days
- attendance at meetings, events and training
- location of employment or workplace
- information about your use of the App (e.g. what you have read and what actions you have taken)
b.) Personal Information your employer collects automatically
When you use the App, it will collect certain information about you automatically such as:
- IP addresses (the name and internet address your smartphone uses to identify itself to the App)
- your activity in the App including times and dates of visits
- which screens you visited
How your employer uses your Personal Information
a.) Your employer’s legal basis for using your information
The law only allows your employer to use your personal information in certain limited circumstances. Your employer is also required to tell you under what legal basis it collects your information.
When using the App, your employer processes your information under the following legal grounds:
- To assist you and your employer to comply with your contract of employment
- Where your employers need to comply with a legal obligation (e.g. keeping records for employment or tax purposes)
- Where it is necessary for your employer’s legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests (e.g. where your employer believes it is necessary for you to perform your job efficiently)
- Where you have consented to your employer (or OurPeople) using your personal information
Examples of what this means in practice
- to help your employer communicate with all employees regardless of where they are
- to form part of your employment/service record (e.g. recording your attendance at training)
- to form part of your employer’s organisational records (e.g. when you have attended meetings, events and training)
- to keep an auditable trail as to the communications that have been read (or not read) by you
- to prevent and detect fraud
- to tell you about changes to the App
- to help OurPeople improve the App to make it better for all users
- to get your feedback on the App
- to allow OurPeople to administer the App (such as troubleshooting, data analysis, research)
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, it may delay or prevent your employer from performing the contract it has entered into with you (such as paying you or providing a benefit). It may also impact on your employer complying with its legal obligations (such as to ensure the health and safety of workers).
Sharing your Personal Information
Your employer provides you with the App which is hosted by OurPeople who processes your personal information on behalf of your employer.
b.) Other Organisations
The following organisations are also involved in providing the App to you:
c.) Legal Requirements and Law Enforcement
d.) Third Party Privacy Policies
The App may contain links to websites and apps owned by other organisations. If you follow a link to another website, these websites they will have their own privacy statement. You should check the policies of any other websites before giving them your personal information as your employer and OurPeople cannot accept responsibility for any other website.
Keeping your Personal Information
a.) How your employer stores your personal information
The security of your personal information is important. The App is provided to the accepted industry standards necessary to protect the personal information submitted to it both during transmission (except email see below) and once it is stored within the App.
The App uses appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard personal information including encryption technology (where appropriate) to enhance privacy and help prevent information security breaches. OurPeople also employs industry-standard measures and processes for detecting and responding to inappropriate attempts to breach their systems.
Any personal information processed within the App will be held within the EEA on OurPeople’s secure servers or on secure servers operated by a third party.
b.) Retention of information
The personal information that you give to your employer via the App will be used for the duration of your user account. Once you no longer use your account, your employer can deactivate the account and/or delete in accordance with their retention policy.
You may choose to delete your account yourself via your employer. Once an account has been deleted then any personal information held within it will also be erased from the OurPeople system.
Your employer will have a company retention policy which lays down timescales for the retention of information.
Where you have requested marketing information from OurPeople, then they will only keep your information and use it for a maximum of up to 2 years after you consented to them using it. If you do not contact OurPeople further during this period, then your information will be deleted.
If you chose to send your employer or OurPeople information via email, they cannot guarantee the security of this information until it is delivered to them.
Under the data protection laws you have certain rights in relation to your own personal information, these rights are detailed below.
Access to information
You have the right to access information that your employer holds about you. If you wish to receive a copy of the information, please contact your employer who can assist you with this.
Changing or deleting your information
You can ask your employer at any time to change, amend or delete the information that its hold about you. You can also ask your employer to restrict the information that it processes about you. Your employer will comply with your request where possible but may be required to keep certain records or use your information to comply with legal or other requirements.
Right to prevent Automated decision making
You have a right to ask your employer to stop any automated decision making. The App is not designed to intentionally carry out such activities, but if you do have any questions or concerns your employer or OurPeople would be happy to discuss them with you. OurPeople can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transferring Personal Information
You have the right to request that your personal data is transferred to another organisation (this is called “data portability”). It is not always technically feasible to do this and it would be subject to your employer’s approval.
Any complaints about how your personal information is used should be directed to your employer.
If you have been through the internal complaints procedure and are still not happy with the result, then you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They can be contacted as follows:
Address: Information Commissioners Office
Any questions about why and how your personal information is used should be directed to your employer.
OurPeople welcome questions, comments and requests about how the App works which can be sent to email@example.com