Your App Privacy
What is Our People?
The Our People App (“the App”) is designed to help us communicate and engage with all our workers where ever they are based. We will be asking all workers to install the App on their smartphone and set up a user account. The App should bring benefits to everyone as we can stay in touch with you much more easily and you can provide us with information in a quick efficient way.
What is the purpose of this Privacy statement?
Your employer is a “data controller” which means we have to tell you certain information when asking for your personal information. We will be asking you (or your manager) to input personal information into the App in order for it to work properly.
If you have any queries about the App, this Privacy Statement or how we use your personal information, please contact hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted above or at 45 Queen Street Exeter, Devon EX4 3SR.
This Privacy Statement relates to your use of the App and tells you:
- What personal information we collect about you when you use the App
- How we collect your personal information in the App
- How we use your personal information
- Who we may share your personal information with
- Any transfer of personal information outside of the EEA
- How long we keep your personal information
- What we do to protect your personal information
- What choices you have in relation to your personal information
We last updated this Privacy Statement on 30 January 2018.
Personal Information we collect about you
What information we process about you
- your name and address
- your contact details including email address and telephone number
- the organisation who employs you and your role within that organisation
- information about your working hours and days
- attendance at meetings, events and training
- location of employment or workplace
- information about your use of the App (e.g. what you have read and what actions you have taken)
- if the location you are currently in is your workplace or not
Personal Information you give us
We will ask you to set up or we will set up a user account on your behalf.
We collect personal information from you when you set up a user account and use the App. If we set up an account on your behalf, then we will input personal information from you that we collected from your employment records.
Personal Information we collect automatically
When you use the App, we may collect certain information automatically such as:
- IP addresses (the name and internet address your smartphone uses to identify itself to us)
- Your activity in the App including times and dates of visits
- if you are at your workplace or not
- which pages you visited
- what products and services interest you
- other websites you may have visited
How we use your Personal Information
Our legal basis for using your information
The law only allows us to use your personal information in certain limited circumstances. We will mostly commonly process your personal information:
- Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you (this is your contract of employment)
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation (e.g. keeping records for employment purposes)
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
- Where you have consented to us using your personal information
What this means in practice
Any personal information that you give to us may be used in the following ways:
- to help us communicate with all employees regardless of where they are
- to allow you to send communications to us
- to form part of your employment/service record (e.g. recording your attendance at training)
- to form part of our organisation records of when you have attended meetings, events and training
- to keep an auditable trail as to the communications that have been read (or not read) by you
- to track your location (see below)
- to prevent and detect fraud
- to tell you about changes to our website, software or app
- to help us (or the App developers) improve the App to make it better for all users
- to get your feedback on the App
- to administer the App (such as troubleshooting, data analysis, research)
If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you (such as paying you or providing a benefit), or we may be prevented from complying with our legal obligations (such as to ensure the health and safety of our workers).
Location Information and Other Information from Devices.
When you use an App, we may collect information about your location if you have instructed your smartphone to allow it. We may use the location information collected from your smartphone to enhance your use of the App by allowing us to provide you with relevant information about your location. We may also use this information to keep records of your location for employment records purposes and our internal records.
Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our App. If you have any queries about the location data that we collect and what we do with it, please contact hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com.
Sharing your Personal Information
Our Business Partners
We may share your information with carefully selected third parties including:
- Our business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you
- Analytics and search engine providers who analyse information about your use of our app and help us to tailor the product and offers that we offer to you and other users
The following organisations are used by us to provide the app:
- Amazon AWS – provides the server infrastructure
- Firebase - provides push notification and realtime database
- Google Analytics - website and App analytics tracking
- Our People Ltd – the authors of the App
- Papertrail - data logging
- Pubnub - realtime data transfer
- Twillo – providing SMS tokens
- Zendesk - help desk software
Legal Requirements and Law Enforcement
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If we sell our business in which case the personal information that we hold will be part of the transferred assets.
Third Party Privacy Policies
The App may contain links to websites owned by other organisations. If you follow a link to another website, these websites they will have their own privacy statement. We suggest that you check the policies of any other websites before giving them your personal information as we cannot accept responsibility for any other website.
Keeping your Personal Information
How we store your personal information
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission (except email see below) and once we receive it.
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard personal information. We use encryption technology where appropriate to enhance privacy and help prevent information security breaches. Our People also employs industry-standard measures and processes for detecting and responding to inappropriate attempts to breach our systems.
Any personal information that we provide to you will be held within the EEA.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or on secure servers operated by a third party. Information on our third-party providers can be found above.
Retention of information
We only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes for which we collected your information.
We have a company retention policy which laids down timescales for the retention of information. The document retention policy can be found here.
We have set these timescales in accordance with any applicable legislation and where none exists then we will keep your information for the duration of any contract that you have entered into with us and then for a period of 7 years after which time it will be deleted.
Where you have requested marketing information from us, then we will only keep this information for a maximum of up to 2 years. If you do not contact us further during this period, then your information will be deleted.
If you chose to send us information via email, we cannot guarantee the security of this information until it is delivered to us.
Access to information
You have the right to access information that we hold about you. If you wish to receive a copy of the information that we hold please contact at hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com or write to us at the address above.
Changing or deleting your information
You can ask us at any time to change, amend or delete the information that we hold about you or ask us not to contact you with any further marketing information. You can also ask us to restrict the information that we process about you.
Right to prevent Automated decision making
You have a right to ask us to stop any automated decision making. We do not intentionally carry out such activities, but if you do have any questions or concerns we would be happy to discuss them with you and you can contact us at hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com.
Transferring Personal Information
You have the right to request that your personal data is transferred by us to another organisation (this is called “data portability”). Please contact us at hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com with the details of what you would like us to do and we will try our best to comply with your request. If may not be technically feasible, but we will work with you to try and find a solution.
If you have been through the internal complaints procedure and are still not happy with the result, then you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They can be contacted as follows:
Address: Information Commissioners Office
Changes to our Privacy Statement
We review our Privacy Statement on a frequent basis to check that it accurately reflects how we deal with your information and may amend it if necessary. You should check this page regularly to see the most up to date information.
How to Contact us
We welcome questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Statement which can be sent to hello [at] ourpeople [dot] com.